Thursday, October 29, 2020

Book Review: The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus by Jaime Jo Wright



1928

The Bonaventure Circus is a refuge for many, but Pippa Ripley was rejected from its inner circle as a baby. When she receives mysterious messages from someone called the "Watchman," she is determined to find him and the connection to her birth. As Pippa's search leads her to a man seeking justice for his murdered sister and evidence that a serial killer has been haunting the circus train, she must decide if uncovering her roots is worth putting herself directly in the path of the killer.

Present Day
The old circus train depot will either be torn down or preserved for historical importance, and its future rests on real estate project manager Chandler Faulk's shoulders. As she dives deep into the depot's history, she's also balancing a newly diagnosed autoimmune disease and the pressures of single motherhood. When she discovers clues to the unsolved murders of the past, Chandler is pulled into a story far darker and more haunting than even an abandoned train depot could portend.


My rating:





Dude. That...wow. That was a wild ride. I'd never read a Jaime Jo Write book before, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but her covers really made me wanna try it out. And I'm so glad I did!

Chandler and Pippa were two different characters nearly a hundred years apart, yet the way their stories intertwined was so cool. I wasn't sure that I would enjoy the book—the word haunting should give you a hint as to why—and while the ghost talk made me uncomfortable, there was only one character that actually made it an obsession, and the rest of the talk about it didn't completely make me dislike it, sooooo.

(I'm having a really hard time organizing my thoughts, I shouldn't have waited two weeks after I finished reading it before I reviewed, haha)

BUT. I did love Chandler's character! She was so relatable, and so was Pippa (actually, Pippa was the more relatable one for me, I'd say)! Can you believe I actually found a book where I loved both female protagonists?! Actually, I think I liked them better than the male characters. *GASP* Yes, you heard that right. While I loved Jake (and Clive and the other circus dudes, for that matter) and enjoyed Hank (once I saw past his ego), my favorite characters were Chandler and Pippa. Pippa especially. So may we all just stand and applause Ms. Wright for accomplishing this?!

Okay, so, the plot. *grins and rubs hands together* the plOT! Duuuude. So, I don't remember the last time I read a historical mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat. Couple that with the modern-day mystery that hinted at the past, it made me want to SCREAM because THAT person was going to die and I just wanted to go back in time and warn the characters.

The mystery with Pippa was centered around the Watchman. This part confused me a bit, as I wondered just how she knew that he held the key to her past. But, he did, and duuuude. So, like, I had my suspicions about the serial killer. I thought I had the culprit pegged close to the beginning of the book. But then I thought "Nah, I don't think so." And ya know what? I WAS RIGHT. Liiiiiike...#mindblown And then to find out the rest about Pippa's past, and who the Watchman was, andandand *deep breath* Did I mention that this was a wild ride??

Okay, so, Chandler's mystery. Not quite as nail-biting—at least, not until she broke through the wall. (those that have read the book KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING.) Every time I thought we'd get to the bottom of the mystery, a new development would pop up and screw everything and make my head spin. Aaaaaand then we find out who the bad guy is. And I was NOT expecting that and so once again, #mindblown

Sooooo, the last part to talk about is the romance. Actually, it wasn't so much that I would take it down a star! There were a couple scenes (especially that one with Pippa) that I could've done without, but the rest of the book made up for it.

All this to say, Jaime Jo Wright did a fantastic job on her latest book!


*I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley for promotional purposes. All thoughts are my own.


2 comments:

  1. Aw man I loved reading this. THE WALL MADE ME JUMP! Okay that's not true, but if it had been a movie I would have jumped.
    Thanks for sharing your review :D

    PS, I have to write my reviews RIGHT after I finish reading a book because if i don't they all end up sounding exactly the same :'''(
    Messy thought reviews are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!