Thursday, October 8, 2020

Five Fall Favorites - Day 4: Holiday


Aside from Epistolary (didn't figure I could only use Dear America books for that one) (but even then, I don't think I've read enough), this was probably the hardest genre for which to find books! But Kaitlyn, you may be thinking, surely you've read enough Christmas books!



Yes, yes, I have. And to give you only Christmas recs would be easy. But the catch here is that we had to find books with any holiday but Christmas. Yeah, I was getting pretty worried there for a sec when I couldn't find anything! But I did find enough...we'll just ignore the fact that over half of these are picture books from my childhood. *grins sheepishly*


Thanksgiving: A Harvest Celebration by Julie Stiegemeyer

This, I think, was the first book that popped into my head when I was told holiday—but not Christmas!—it's so perfect because, not only is it about the very first Thanksgiving, but when I was little, amid all the decorating and crafts Mom had us do for school instead of actual homework (she was pretty good at keeping us entertained Thanksgiving week *grins*), she also had us act out this book. So that was a lot of fun. And, being the only girl old enough, of course I was always the main character. *bows* (besides, by the time my sis was old enough, she just wanted to be an Indian with the boys *facepalm*)


Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende & Harry Devlin


Yes, another book from my childhood! This is one we'd always check out from the library, and for some reason I just loved all of the Cranberry books. I think it was the illustrations, actually. They're...so...I don't know how to describe it, haha! I just remember that I would stare at Mr. Whisker's suit because of the texture. *shrugs*


I Don't Dance by Jesseca Wheaton


If you personally know the author like I do, you won't be surprised when I say that this book is for Independence Day. ;) The book isn't about the holiday (it's actually about a soldier and a girl he's known since his childhood), but it's in the book, soooo...that counts. ;)


Little Town at the Crossroads by Maria D. Wilkes


*smirks* You can't guess the holiday for this one, can you?? (Yes, it's another Independence Day book.) But for real, it's a Little House book, so you can't go wrong with that. Plus, I love the Caroline books more than the Laura books! (Aaaaaand the Charlotte Years...and the Martha Years...) (mini rant: it drives me crazy when people say 'Happy 4th of July!' Guys. The holiday is Independence Day. You don't go around saying 'Happy 25th of December!', do youuuu???)


The Parable of the Lily by Liz Curtis Higgs


A cozy lil' Easter read with alllll the Spring vibes! Another picture book, of course, but I remember absolutely loving to look at all the illustrations in this one. 




Have you ever read out on a lake? I haven't...but when books are involved, I'll try pretty much anything new! As long as I don't drop the book in the water, that is. That...would be absolutely tragic. But c'mon, let's give it a shot!


And don't forget to explore the other stops in the party!



As always, the giveaway—have you entered yet?? I sure wish I could have all of that stuff!




Are you a seasonal reader, or do you read holiday books whenever you feel like it? Or do you (like me) just not read much holiday fiction at all?

9 comments:

  1. Jessica Wheaton's book looks really interesting. My library has three of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all look so amazing! I've only read I Don't Dance, but I'd love to read the others! I really need to increase my collection of holiday books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not going to believe this, Kaitlyn . . . WE were going to review the "Parable of the Lily" but we couldn't remember enough about it from our childhood to find it! Well - now we know what it was, anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, "I Don't Dance"!!! I forgot it was an Independence Day book, lol.
    I really want to read "Little Town at the Crossroads"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those first two books look so cute! I should see if our library has them. And I've read "I Don't Dance." :)
    I tend to read Christmas books at Christmas time, but since I don't have many other books for other holidays, I don't pay much attention to when I read them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yassss!!! "Cranberry Thanksgiving" is a classic in my family! Its not thanksgiving without it!!! Also I love "he parable of the lily"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED "I Don't Dance"
    it was sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!