Friday, October 9, 2020

Five Fall Favorites - Day 5: Instructional Nonfiction


Can you believe FFF is almost over?? *cries* it's been fun, y'all. BUT. It's not over yet. So we won't dwell on that. *nods* We'll just add more books to our TBR!




Today we're exploring instructional nonfiction! I don't know about you, buuuut I...haven't read nearly as much as I should. As is evidenced by the lack if diversity in my recommendations. Whoops. *shrugs* But, anyway, they're all instructional nonfiction, so it counts. *grins*


(can you believe that I only have one writing book on my list? *gasp* tbh I have good intentions but never actually take the time to read them *hides*)


The Writer's Guide to Weapons by Benjamin Sobieck


Disclaimer: I haven't actually read this entire book. I've read part of it, and I definitely learned a lot from what I read! I just...haven't read the whole thing. *hides* I can't wait to, though! My writing partner gifted me this book and Y'ALL it's so BIG. *grins* So yeah, definitely recommend this one if you're writing a book that contains weapons. 'Cause, ya know, it's kinda important to get your facts write. (pun intended. *smirk*)

No Other Gods by Kelly Minter


Devotionals count, right? Right. *nods* This one is so thought-provoking and convicting. It points out the 'small G' gods (little things that we wouldn't think of as idols) that we use to unknowingly replace the 'big G' God in our lives, and how we can conquer and get rid of them.


Beyond the Square by Edie Eckman


Where my crocheters at?? I love this book. Not only does it have spiral binding so that it stays open while you've got your hands busy, it's got soooo many motif patterns, as well as tips and tricks for joining, changing color, etc. (the companion book, Connect the Squares, is equally as good, but I forced myself to pick just one of them. *sigh*)


The Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer


Another devotional! *grins* This one is...wow. The first devotional I ever did by Priscilla Shirer, and definitely not the last! It goes into depth how the armor depicted in Ephesians 6 correlates to how powerful and useful the Roman armor was, and how each piece had a specific use. Shirer then goes on to describe how we can apply it spiritually. So good.


Reversible Color Crochet by Laurinda Reddig


Can you tell I haven't read much instructional nonfiction other than devotionals and crochet books? *cackles* whoops. Anywayyy, this book is about how to use the author's unique technique (hey, that rhymes) for changing colors—and it makes the crochet work reversible! Plus, it's got a bunch of patterns with which to use this method, and they're all so pretty.




Are you an animal lover? If so, come on into the barn! You can pet the animals, feed them, and even maybe ride one or two if you'd like! Or, if you'd prefer to skip directly to the reading part, you can scamper up to the loft, cuddle up in some hay (still got your blanket? The hay can be pretty itchy!), and get lost in a book. Or maybe there's a book you'll find at Five Fall Favorites that'll tell you how to befriend a goat—you never know. ;)




And, of course, the giveaway! Today is the last day, so hurry and tell your friends to enter!




What sort of instructional nonfiction do you read? I obviously need to branch out more!

11 comments:

  1. Awesome list!! <3 I'm so sad that our week at the Lodge is almost over. *hands you a tissue and grabs one for myself*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read memoirs and autobiographies a lot... XD XD actually I've read like maybe one devotional... xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crocheting! I'll have to look these books up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh the armor of God book looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *jots down a few more books on to my to be read list* Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those all look cool, although I'm terrible with crocheting. I prefer to stick with knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't crochet well. I would rather knit. ;) But that's okay. We can't all do the same thing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do a *little* bit of crocheting and knitting, but I have a HUGE room for improvement. My favorite instructional non-fictions are mostly sewing and cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!