Monday, October 5, 2020

Five Fall Favorites - Day 1: Vintage



Welcome to day one of the Five Fall Favorites party! You may remember me joining in this party last year, and though I didn't do well at all with promoting the event beforehand, I'm joining this year, as well!


Don't remember what the FFF party is about? Or you're just new here? Well, FFF is going to be six days of posting five book recommendations in the specified category for the day. Today just happens to be all about vintage books, and while I didn't think I'd read enough to even recommend, I actually did find enough! So. On with it! *grins*


(Note: click on the cover images to be redirected to the Goodreads page of the book!)


(Another note: each link opens a new window so you won't have to worry about going back n' forth)


(Also these are in no particular order, but my favorite of them all is probably the last one)


Austin of the Air Force by Dan Senseney



Probably one of the first military books I read...but don't quote me on that. ;) It's been so long since I read it that I hardly remember what it's about anymore...but I do remember that I read it twice and it's about two buddies who enlisted in the Air Force and *spoiler alert* got into a fight over something.


Dirt Track Summer by William Campbell Gault



Again, one that I haven't read in years, but again, one that I read twice. (I read most of our old hardbacks twice bc I just liked them...) This one's about a couple of brothers and their friend who build a race car together (I think?? I'm pretty sure??) and try out for races. I remember loving how Gault described the races, the driving, etc.


Kavik the Wolf Dog by Walt Morey



Once upon a time, Kaitlyn finally read a Walt Morey book upon her aunt's suggestion, fell in love with the story, and then proceeded to read every single book the library had from said author. *laughs* I kinda did that a lot when I was younger—obsess over one author at a time. Anyway, Kavik (wounded dog?? Dude nurses him back to health?? Yes pls) is just one of sooooo many fantastic books. If you love books with animals in key roles, you're definitely going to want to check Morey out. ;)


Wild Trek by Jim Kjelgaard



Another animal author! Except, Kjelgaard (if anyone has any clue on how to pronounce that name, pleeeeaaaase enlighten me) wrote books mainly about dogs. Yes, there was a point in time that I was just obsessed about dog books, I think, but hey, at least I got recommendations for you animal obsessors. ;) (If you're wondering, this one's about a trapper and his dog who come upon a wreckage in the mountains and have to lead the two survivors to safety #minordetails)


Moccasin Trail by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Like I mentioned, this one's probably my favorite on this list! I've read it three or four times, and it never got old, and since it's been several years, I think it's time for another read. *grins* I mean really. Dude gets reunited with his long-lost siblings, but after living with Indians for so long, he can't even remember what it's like to be a 'white man' and he has to—*stops before this becomes a worse run-on sentence* Just...just go read it. *shoos you away*


But wait—the party's just starting!

I happen to be one of ten bloggers participating in this party! Each day, each of the blogs hosts a different 'room'—basically using autumn activities and items to use your imagination while we have an autumn-esque party! Today I'm the blankets room. Because there's nothing quite like curling up in a blanket next to the fire (or wherever your favorite reading spot happens to be(depending on where you're from, haha) and cuddling up with a good book. So take one of my recommendations, smell the old glue in the vintage binding, pour yourself a warm cup of your favorite hot beverage and get lost in the pages.

(pro tip: go find the books room for a free short story!)

To find the rest of the participants and their recommendations, visit the literary lodge, the headquarters for FFF! Also known as Read Another Page. ;)


Did I also mention that there's a GIVEAWAY?! Click the image below to enter!


Aaaaaand I think that's everything! Come back tomorrow for five more recommendations, but in a different genre!


Do you enjoy vintage books? What are your favorites??

27 comments:

  1. I've never heard of any of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for the week!! *all the hearts*
    Great list! I haven't heard of/read any of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammme! So glad you're joining this year!! <3
      Haha, well then, all the more books to add to your TBR!

      Delete
  3. Okay now I want to read all of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of ANY of these but they all look SO good! I love Morey's "Gentle Ben," so I totally need to read that Kavik the Wolf Dog book....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I LOVE ALL OF MOREY'S BOOKS AND YOU NEED TO GO READ THEM ALL TOO.

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm Kavik sounds great! I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, it's soooo good! But it was so hard to pick just *one* of Morey's books. ;)

      Delete
  6. Oooh, so many new books to read, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Kavik the Wolf Dog but I haven't read the others! I'll have to add them to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS KAVIK. *grins* But they're allll sooooo good!

      Delete
  8. I don’t think I’ve read any of these... but cool cover on Wild Trek! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I should've known you'd comment on cover design! I agree, though ;)

      Delete
  9. So excited for this week! Fun post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I haven't read any of these yet... but I am adding "Moccasin Trail" to my TBR RIGHT AWAY!!! That book looks really intriguing!

    "Austin of the Air Force" looks cool too, because I love reading anything about the Air Force! *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSS I LOOOOOVE MOCCASIN TRAIL! Fantastic choice!! ;)
      *grins back* another fantastic choice.

      Delete
  11. I've heard of "Moccasin Trail" but don't think I've ever read it. And I haven't read any of the other books. *wonders if I can use my blanket to carry my stacks of books* ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Gasp* Rebekah! Go read iiiiiiiit! *helps you fashion your blanket into a sling to carry all your books*

      Delete
  12. This is such an awesome blog! I just followed by email, and I'm looking forwards to the continuation of the five fall favorites! :) -Sadie S.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of these books but they seem interesting especially the last one.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!