Saturday, October 10, 2020

Five Fall Favorites - Day 6: 2020 Favorites


TODAY IS THE DAY I GET TO SCREAM AND RANT ABOUT MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR SO FAR. *deep breath* AAAAAAHHHH.




*Coughs* Can you tell that this is my favorite day of FFF? *smirks* 


Set the Stars Alight by Amanda Dykes


This would be the second book I've read by Dykes, but even after the first one, I knew that she would soon become a new favorite author...and I was completely right. Oh. My. Word. I adore her writing style, and while the split time was hard to get used to, I soon fell absolutely in love with both plots. You can read my full review here.


All Manner of Things by Susie Finkbeiner


This one, y'all...wow. (pretty much my reaction for all the books in this post, haha!) I love Finkbeiner's writing style, and this story was so whimsical. I mean...the girl works in a diner. Her brother goes off to war. I'm just...*happy sigh* it made me laugh, it made me happy, but it also ripped my heart out. Soooo yeah. 


Concealed by Lisa M. Clark


I'M STILL SCREAMING ABOUT THIS ONE. That...wow. I should've seen it coming. I should've known it would've happened. But I didn't. And my heart is shattered. And I NeEEeD bOok THreE NOW. *curls up in a corner* the message in this dystopian novel is so, so, sososo good. It's one that everyone needs to hear, especially now. But liiiiike...*screams in frustration 'cause I can't share any more 'cause #spoilers* Just go read book one. And then book this one. So we can scream together.


Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin


I'll admit, since this was my first Austin book, I fully expected to low-key hate this book. 'Cause, I mean, it just really looks like something sappy and disgusting to me. *cough* but I now love this cover 'cause I know how amazing the book inside is. Wow. I was expecting a typical, fall-in-love-and-be-a-spy-because-she's-been-suddenly-converted story. While some might call it that, I wouldn't. This girl, Caroline, does so much soul searching and legitimately working hard to make up her own mind by doing her own research. And I was blown away. (maybe we wouldn't be in such a mess if people tried this method.)


Defy by Tricia Mingerink


Yes, I'm aware that this is the old cover for this book. But I happen to like the old cover better. So fight me. *smirks* But, anyway, I think this is the only series that I've read twice and still loved just as much as I did the first time I read through it! (except for maybe the Circle C books, anyway.) So yes, definitely an all-time favorite series. ;) Book three is my favorite, but I can't say why 'cause #spoilers. But just trust me when I say that for those that love intense, non-magical medieval fantasy, this series is for you. (though I'll warn you, there's some romance and some bloodshed. So if you don't love that, then...might wanna stay away.)




Do you prefer reading indoors or out? I can't decide, honestly! The house is cozy and there's more comfortable chairs...but there's just something about reading outside in the fresh air that just...it makes me happy. *grins* So brush the leaves off of these benches (am I the only one who loves the sound of crunching leaves?), have a seat, breathe in the crisp scent of fall, and dive right into the pages!



(The giveaway winner(s) is being announced today! Did you enter? Go see if you won!)


What are your favorite books of 2020 so far? Did you love these books as much as I did??

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these! It looks like I may need to, though. *winks*
    Loved reading your posts this past week!! FFF has been so fun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get into the Austin book. Just not my thing. I was excited cause I love the War Between the States, but just not my style. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my mom/sister read the Lynn Austin book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these books. :)
    Thanks so much for being a part of the Five Fall Favorites this year! I've enjoyed coming over and reading your posts.
    And no, you are not the only one. I love the sound of crunching leaves! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, like, I need to read all of these.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Defy is my fav of the series too. Main reason? The Leith/Renna torture scenes. *all the heart eyes* The angst just GETS ME. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rly want to read Set the Stars Alight! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!