Monday, October 4, 2021

Five Fall Favorites: Adventure


It's here! It's here! It's here! The Five Fall Favorites bookish blog party is here! So. Welcome to day 1! I won't waste your time with a whole new explanation on what the party is about, 'cause 1) most of y'all have been around long enough to know what the party is, and 2) if you don't and you're thoroughly confused by what's going on by the end of the post, either visit the host blog (graphic at the end of the post) or leave a comment and I'll explain.


*dusts hands together* All right! let's get to it! Welcome to...the bonfire! This is my station for today, and I'm so glad you decided to join me! Here, would you like a marshmallow? There's some roasting sticks over there next to the fire, and feel free to dig into the stash of chocolate and graham crackers. Just no reading with sticky fingers, please. One thing I can't stand is a messy book.



Okay, now that everyone's found a log around the fire to sit on, let me have your attention, please! Today's genre is, as you've probably figured out by the post title, adventure! These are books that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Ready? Okay, let's get on with it.

(NOTE: every link that you click will open a new tab in your browser. I know how annoying it can be to leave the original post.)


 The Last Thing I Remember - Andrew Klavan


A friend of mine has been talking about this series for years, and so imagine my surprise and delight (pretty sure I let out a giant GASP) when I found the first three (of four) books in a used bookstore! "You'll want the last one before you start," she warned me. "You're not going to be able to put them down." Well...she was right. These are soooo suspenseful, I was about halfway before book two when I realized that she was right—I was gonna need to get that last one. So I ordered it. But Thriftbooks is so sloooow that I still had to wait for it for a week after finishing book 3. *cries* Definitely worth it though.


My Father's World - Michael Phillips & Judith Pella



My mom gifted me this series several years ago, and I waited for a long time to start them 'cause...I mean...if I'm being honest, they don't look that interesting. But my word, y'all, this is a series you don't want to miss! Honestly, they're much more adventurous than they look, and the messages found in these books are...wow. Very impactful.


Never - J. Grace Pennington


If you know me, you know that this one had to make it into this post. *cackles* Brothers? Fighting for each other? Taking the high road and doing what's right even when it may kill you? YES PLEASE. For real, just...*flails* just go read this one. Review here.


Discovered - Lisa M. Clark


Again, a gift from my mom. One that, once again, I procrastinated reading because, if I'm being honest, this cover doesn't look like something I'd normally read. And I was right—it's not something I'd normally read. It's dystopian, talking about bots and a tyrannical government. But *slams hands on table* LET ME TELL YOU. This book is incredible. I'm not even kidding. Like...when I tell you that it's really really good, that's like, the understatement of the year.


Falls Like Lightning - Shawn Grady


Okay but HOW COOL IS THAT COVER. Honestly. I don't normally like to see peoples' faces on a book cover, but in this case...mmkay, I'll make an exception. The book is about a SMOKE JUMPER (I think that's the right term? Like, someone who jumps out of helicopters to fight fires?) and something SINISTER is going on and just..yeah. Me like. Honestly all three books in this series are epic.


*Happy sigh* Wasn't that an epic way to start out the week? Definitely go visit the literary check out everyone else's rooms because if you're like me, you'll take allllll the adventure novel recs!


And, of course, as incentive to keep y'all here (since book recommendations isn't enough for SOME OF YOU) (I'm kidding, I'm kidding) (But also who isn't persuaded by free stuff) there's also an incredible GIVEAWAY going on! Like, a bookish tote bag and a gift card and not one, not two, but SEVERAL (I can't remember how many *sheepish grin*) books! Anyone can enter, but however, due to shipping costs, if an international entrant wins, they'll receive the books as ebooks.



Fresh recommendations in a whole new genre comin' at ya tomorrow! 

31 comments:

  1. *enjoys the warmth of the fire and eats a s'more* I read My Father's World but never got the rest of the series to read. Now I need to check an see if the library has them. I think they will. I haven't read any of the other books, but that last one looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sits down and makes a s'more* Awesome books, Kate! Falls Like Lightening looks particularly cool!! And I really need to read Homelanders…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katja! Yep, you definitely need to read them. *nods*

      Delete
  3. I haven’t read any of those! Thanks, Kaitlyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second book looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those first three especially look so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Totally different books, but each of them are amazing!

      Delete
  6. My Father’s World has been on my TBR for quite some time. I really need to read it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what have you been doing with your life, Rebekah?! XD

      Delete
  7. I really like Michael Phillips and Judith Pella. I don't think I have read that one yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recs, Kaitlyn. I need to keep my eyes open for My Father's World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, my pleasure! Yep, you definitely need to. ;)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like some good recs! Thanks!��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, Falls Like Lightning sounds really interesting!! I also love dystopian so Discovered seems like it'd be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! So glad you found a couple of interesting ones!

      Delete
  11. It's fun to see what others are reading! My Father's World looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many good recommendations! Thank you for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, so many good books!!! I LOVE Never and I really liked Falls Like Lightening... The Last Thing I Remember has been on my TBR for a while, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your first three recommendations are already on my TBR list. :D I just started reading Michael Phillips this summer, and liked what I read, but maybe the Corrie Belle Hollister series will have to wait, since I've started two other series ... ;)

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely adding some books from this list! The last two for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, you seriously have me intrigued with your recs! *heart eyes* I want to read "The Lat Thing I Remember" now!!!! *more heart eyes* "Falls Like Lightning"??? I want to read about a smokejumper!!!! *even more heart eyes* GIMME "NEVER"!

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!