Thursday, September 30, 2021

Book Review: Preacher on the Run by Jayna Baas


It's 1771, and Robert Boothe has spent the last four years leading the tyrant-hating Regulators in standing against North Carolina’s corrupt British government. All he wants is a safe place for his family and church to live and worship in freedom. But the established church wants him to shut up. 

The governor’s men want him dead. Colonel Charles Drake is on Robert’s trail, and that safe place is farther and farther away. 

You can run, but you can't hide . . .

Series: For Liberty & Conscience, #1

My rating:

Wowwww. That was a deep breath of nostalgia for me. Throughout the entire book, it kept taking me back to the days that I soaked up Douglas Bond, Sisters in Time, Jim Kjelgaard, Walt Morey, Lois Walfrid Johnson, Gilbert Morris...

There are several words that come to mind when I think of Preacher on the Run, but one in particular stays with me: Steady. 

Rob's steady conviction, and steady temperament. Maggie's steady trust in and support of her husband—and God. Mitch's steady view of the truth and his steady willingness to point Rob back in the right direction if need be. Alec's steady (although a bit...shall we say, maybe not always reliable...at times) willingness to help wherever needed.

Is there a lot of action in this book? ...Not really. Not in the it's-pre-Revolutionary-war-and-things-are-heating-up sense. But the fact that there was somehow action on the Homefront, even though it wasn't nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat action, amazed me. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife, with Chauncy, Kendall, and Drake stirring up a nest of rattlesnakes...although they were technically the snakes. *cackles*

Robert's inner turmoil was sooo well-done. He fought with himself, with God, and with Governor Tryon (and Colonel Drake, for that matter). He knew what was right. He knew that God would bring them through. But sometimes...sometimes you don't always do the right thing, and you have to pay the consequences. Honestly, this book was exactly what I needed right now. Watching Rob wrestle with trusting God. Wanting to just make everything better himself. I could practically feel the tension in the back of his neck as one thing after another just kept. going. wrong. For once, the main character in the story was my favorite, and his character arc was so inspiring.

Like...the whole book was inspiring. I can't even describe it.

Plus, the plot, though not incredibly fast-paced, was steady (see? there's that word again), had some action sequences (and this time I do mean actual fighting with the bad guys), sweet moments, and the story just...I wanted to stay in it forever. Maybe it was because of the nostalgia. Maybe it was because I needed a light read. Whatever the reason, I give it a quiet five stars. Because books like this, though maybe not full of beautiful prose or nail-biting suspense, was full of truths that I needed to hear. And, as Robert Boothe would say:

"The truth will hold its own."


Did I find a new indie author to keep an eye on? Yes. Yes, I did. What's a new-to-you author with an upcoming release that you're looking forward to??


1 comment:

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!