Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Five Fall Favorites: Family Friendly


Hey, guys! I'm so glad you're back for day 2!


Today, I'm leading everyone on a bike tour around town. The trees are so beautiful, dropping their bright leaves on the street and blanketing the neighborhood with color. There's also a couple of bookstores along the way, just in case you're wanting to get your hands on one of these recommendations. Ready? Everyone have a bike? Okay, let's get going! Today, our genre is family. More specifically, books for the whole family! (To avoid confusion, I put 'family friendly' in the post title.) Several of these are ones my own family enjoyed, so let's get straight into it.


(NOTE: every link that you click will open a new tab in your browser. I know how annoying it can be to leave the original post.)

The History Mystery - Stephen & Susan Castleberry


Wow, it's been yearssss since I've read this one...well, actually, my dad read it aloud to the whole family. But I loved it so much that I went and read all the others mom had in the series. Honestly, the series would probably be more entertaining to young readers than, say, teenagers.


Duncan's War - Douglas Bond


Once again, a family read-aloud! Dad read this one to us when I was too little to really take interest in it, so a couple of years later, I read it myself...and then the rest of the trilogy...and then I collected another Bond trilogy...yeah. This one is definitely a must-read for families who love historical fiction; my brothers still remember certain scenes in it (like when Duncan rammed his head into that one dude).


Preacher on the Run - Jayna Baas


This one is sooooo good. A recent release, but it honestly reminds me so much of when I was obsessed with reading Douglas Bond and Walt Morey. Not only is the message excellent and the story itself fantastic, but it made me super nostalgic. So there's that. *cackles* You can find my review here.


By Paths Unknown - Rebekah Morris


Despite what you may think by looking at the cover, this one isn't a western. Or, well, it is, but it's a modern western. A boy and his family move from the city to help on their grandparents' ranch, and I just really adore the main character and the struggles he faced. Find my full review here.


The Bronze Bow - Elizabeth George Speare


Again, a book that my family read aloud when I was too little to really get invested in the story. (Can you believe it? I adored reading even then, but not the books my father read aloud. Shameful.) I don't normally like biblical fiction, but the story of Jesus is actually a side plot in this one—hardly mentioned, though Jesus does play a big role in the small part that he has—and the historical aspect is pretty cool.


Now that we're on day two, that means we're two days into the GIVEAWAY! Have you gotten all your entries in yet?

Click on the image to go enter the giveaway!

But, of course, you don't want just my recommendations—you need to go find all the other books to fit into the basket on your bicycle! Go pay a visit to the literary lodge and explore all of the rooms there!

Click on the image to visit the literary lodge!


Will I see you back here tomorrow? Bookish surprises await!

23 comments:

  1. *squeals when she sees By Paths Unknown on the list* I only read that a few months ago, but I loved it so so much!!! I haven't read any of the others, but Duncan's War especially looks really amazing!!
    Thanks for sharing! (And yes, I will definitely be back tomorrow!! <3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeals with you* yay, I'm so glad you loved it!! Thanks for coming by! <3

      Delete
  2. I've read two of these, "By Paths Unknown" and "Preacher On the Run," and enjoyed them. :)
    Family is a great genre!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I knew you'd like seeing Preacher on the Run. ;)

      Delete
  3. I really want to read the first three ;P I've read the bottom two. By Paths Unknown is epic. I didn’t love The Bronze Bow but the writing and characters were awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a lot of reading to catch up on, Kats ;)

      Delete
  4. One is always supposed to add to one's TBR stack when visiting the literary lodge; I'm just reminded of the books that are already there! I have gotten many scathing looks for not having read The Bronze Bow yet, and of course I want to read By Paths Unknown. I did read Preacher on the Run, and I did adore it.

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, very true!! You won't get any scathing looks from me, but, uh, *nudges you in the general direction of the book* goo read it. ;)

      Delete
  5. By Paths Unknown and The Bronze Bow are favorites of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Preacher on the Run! And I have By Paths Unknown just sitting in my Kindle... why haven't I read it yet? I don't know! I know I'll like it! And Duncan's War looks pretty awesome! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! *high five* and *gasp* I dont know, why haven't you read it?! ;)

      Delete
  7. Aw, thanks for recommending my book, Kaitlyn. <3
    I've read and enjoyed that first book. And we have Duncan's War, but . . . *whispers* I've never read it. I don't know if I ever read The Bronze Bow or not. And I know I haven't read Preacher on the Run.
    Great list! And thanks for the bike tour. I needed a little exercise before I get lost in reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp* Rebekah, what are you doing if you haven't read them yet?! *grabs some extra copies and stuffs them in your bike basket* here, enjoy. My treat.

      Delete
  8. *squeals* Preacher On The Run was amazing!!!!!!! *heart eyes over and over*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeals and falls into heart-eyed oblivion with you* I KNOWWWW

      Delete
  9. I like how your family readloads focused on so much history. I'm interested in finding out more about Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow...I didn't realize it before, but you're right! No wonder I have a deep-rooted love for historical novels... ;)

      Delete
  10. Oh! This is a fun list! I enjoyed reading your comments about the books. We own the top three. :D

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!