Friday, October 4, 2019

Five Fall Favorites - Day 5: Childhood Favorites


I don't know about you, but my siblings and I love to reminisce about when we were children. We love watching old movies that we used to watch just for the nostalgia, and we love playing the "remember when?" game. So when I learned that one of the genres this year is childhood favorites, I was so excited!!


For some people, nothing says 'fall' like an orchard. So grab a bushel basket and let's go pick some apples! Or maybe we'll find a tree that grows books . . . wouldn't that be amazing?! Either way, you'll definitely be leaving with bushels full of recommendations for your children, siblings, or that little child in your heart that peeks out every once in awhile.



Punchinello and the Most Marvelous Gift—Max Lucado


I can't tell you how many times my father read this book aloud to us. Actually, just a minute ago, I was talking about it with him and my brothers. Poor dude probably went hoarse reading it to us every single night for who knows how long.


I couldn't find a picture of the cover anywhere, and I remember to take a picture of our book in time . . . but trust me, The Great White Buffalo Adventure will be an instant hit with any child (or child at heart)!

Cowboy Sam and the Rodeo—Edna Walker Chandler


Wow. If I had to pick one book from my childhood that really took me back, it'd be the Cowboy Sam books. (But for some reason the library got rid of them?! *cries*) I grew up watching westerns, reading westerns, playing cowboys + bad guys . . . yeah, definitely a favorite.

Blaze and the Forest Fire—C.W. Anderson


My siblings and I loved to read the Blaze & Billy books. They're actually a favorite series from my dad's childhood too, so of course it's going to be fabulous. ;)

The Pizza Mystery—Gertrude Chandler Warner


Who else read dozens of Boxcar Children books?? While I loved them all, I especially loved the food ones. (For some reason I have a thing for books with food?!) And the one that really sticks with me is The Pizza Mystery. (Who doesn't love reading about pizza?!)


Check out the rest of the recommendations at the Literary Lodge!


And, of course, the giveaway:

Click on the image to be redirected to the giveaway

What are your childhood favorites? Did your childhood share some of the same books as mine?

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm, haven’t read any of these except the Boxcar Children. I’ve read a handle of those when I’ve gone to English people’s houses. I enjoyed the one story I’ve read, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PUNCHINELLO!! BILLY AND BLAZE!! *screams*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blaze books! Such classics! And those illustrations! Loved those books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Boxcar Children!! So many memories! xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Billy and Blaze"!!!! Love those books! I grew up checking them out of the library to read. Then I got older and found they were reprinted so I got the whole set. :) We have a few "Cowboy Sam" books, but I don't think we have that one. And I know we didn't have them when I was growing up. I probably would have liked them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, yay!! *Grins* Yeah, you can't really appreciate children's books like those unless you started reading them as a child. ;)

      Delete
  6. The Boxcar Children! I have so many good memories about those books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cowboy and horse books. Black Beauty, The Black Stallion. I've read the Boxcar Children, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Billy and Blaze ... those are still some of my favorite books ever. <3 Recently I reread one after a long time, and I was surprised at how few words there were. When I was younger, I would think about the stories so much!

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy! <3 Haha, I know, right?! It's crazy how our opinions and views about books change with our age!

      Delete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!