Thursday, November 26, 2020

Book Review: Stop the Rain by Kassie Angle


He left his entire world in Iraq. So why did the war follow him home?

Harley Keane and his best friend Nigel were just kids when 9/11 rocked their world and changed their lives forever. When they’re finally old enough to join the Army, all their childhood dreams seem about to come true. But war wasn’t supposed to be like this. A kid’s dream isn’t supposed to become a living nightmare. Fellow soldiers aren’t supposed to bleed out in front of your eyes.

Back home, safe and unwounded, Harley feels anything but. Why would God spare him when so many others were taken? Why won’t the nightmares stop, even when he’s awake? And how long can he hide the truth that threatens everything he has left? When Harley’s invisible scars refuse to stay hidden, will he let anyone close enough to help? And how do you go on with life when “okay” isn’t okay at all?


My rating:




Some scars can't be seen. 


Goooooodness gracious.


I just...no words for how this book touched me.


(also, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my U.S. friends! And a very happy Thursday to the rest of you. Kinda fitting that I post this review today, as Thanksgiving is actually in the book. And it's my favorite holiday. *grins*)


I adored every one of the characters, but the ones especially worth mentioning are Harley, Dallas, Paul, Trey, Russell, annnnnd...pretty much all of them. *grins* They're amazing.


I mean, Nigel is, too. But if ya know, ya know.


It's a slow book that starts out with lots of flashbacks that, at first confused and frustrated me. But then I realized just how important they were to the plot. Sure, the info gleaned from the flashbacks probably could've just been sprinkled into the rest of the 300-some page book. But...seeing Harley and Nigel as kids was so fun. And all the references to Stratego and the library and the trampoline? *grins* perfection.


There was...a lot of crying. I'm by no means an expert on PTSD, nor do I personally know someone who suffers from it. I just know guys general, and I know that guys in general that try to act all tough and 'okay' are going to keep the tears at bay no matter what. Harley tries to act tough, using a snappy and grumpy attitude to cover up what's really inside, but yet he's crying a lot. I'm not saying that this is necessarily inaccurate, just not what I've known personally.


But I've also never personally known a person with PTSD.


Other than that, I...seriously don't really have any other problems with the book.


It will romp and stomp on your heart, y'all. Let this be a fair warning. Did I cry? Nah. I've never read a book that's actually made me literally cry. I've gotten teary-eyed before, but I still have yet for a book to make me literally sob or at least have a few tears run down my face. So no, I didn't cry. But that doesn't mean my heart didn't break a lil' bit.


Harley's story is...wow. I'm not gonna say heartbreaking again, soooo...raw. Touching. And exposes a bit of the dark side of life that nobody likes to talk about. It talks about how some people come home from war and are forever scarred—not on the outside, but on the inside.


Harley Keene is broken and, in turn, his story will break you.


The cast of supporting characters, though, is phenomenal. I know I've mentioned them before but I'll mention them again. Dallas is incredible. The way he keeps saying "kiddo" is so endearing and he makes me wanna smush him in a hug. Paul is the buddy that everyone needs, and Savannah is super sweet and understanding. Nigel is also the buddy everyone needs. Trey is amazing and needs his own story. Russell has such a tiny part but such a significant part. Keith understands and that's what Har needs.


And the bit about trusting God? Uhhh yeah. So good.


Just...just go read the book, 'kay??


*I received an e-copy of this book from the author for promotional purposes. All thoughts are my own.



Today, go read Stop the Rain...and thank a veteran.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book! <3
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too, friend! :D

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!