Thursday, November 7, 2019

Book Review: Martin Hospitality by Abigayle Claire


Gemma Ebworthy is eighteen, pregnant, and alone. Now that she's been evicted, she finds herself sleeping in a barn, never dreaming that tomorrow could bring kindness of a life-changing magnitude. 

The Martins aren't a typical family—even for rural Kansas. With more kids than can be counted on one hand and a full-time farm, Gemma must make a lot of adjustments to fit in. But despite their many differences, Gemma finds herself drawn to this family and their radical Christian faith. 

When Gemma's past collides with her yet again, she must begin revealing her colorful history. With every detail Gemma concedes, she fears she will lose the Martins' trust and the stable environment she desires for herself and her unborn child. Just how far can the Martins' love and God's forgiveness go?


Series: Martin Generations, #1

My rating:







Okay, Farris was super cute. Gemma was sweet. Josiah was . . . well, I don't know. I really liked him, but he seemed too . . . perfect to me. My favorite characters were probably Hollie, Jake, and, in the second half of the book, Mr. Martin.

The first half of the book I enjoyed, but it seemed . . . lacking to me? I suppose I'm just not all that into Christian fiction. ;P

But all the plot twists kept me reading. Like, when I found out that (SPOILER) Travis was Farris's dad... I did NOT see that coming. And then later, THAT SCENE WHEN MR. MARTIN BUSTS ANNELIESE AND TRAVIS WITH THE SHOTGUN. I was cheering him the whole way, haha! (SPOILER OVER)

Idk why, but even though he was a really minor character, Jake was just cool. I loved his character.

And Hollie? At first I was wary because she seemed . . . too nice. But then, I just grew to love her. She's so sweet and buoyant and... yeah.

One thing about the book that bothered me/seemed unrealistic was that Josiah had a flip phone. I know this is a small and unrelevant point, but it just kinda drove me a little nuts because pretty much every farmer I know has a smart phone. Living 'in the sticks' does NOT mean we dont have iPhones. ok, end of rant. XP

Great job on your debut novel, Abi!



Have you read Martin Hospitality? Are you looking forward to the sequel, Martin Legacy? (Review of that one coming next week!)

2 comments:

  1. This is on my TBR! I can't wait to (eventually) read it. :D

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book!! I got to read it on the beach, which made it extra cool! ;) But yeah, Josiah did rub me the wrong way... he was too perfect to be realistic. But I did really like this book, and can't wait to read book two!

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!