Thursday, September 26, 2019

Book Review: Monday Night Jihad by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn

I was walking through the library—just to get one or two that I've already picked out, I thought. But then I ended up with three or four that I wasn't sure that I'd even be able to read. Annnnd then this baby's spine caught my eye.

(Just sayin', having an eye-catching spine is critical to getting your book a little notice, especially if it's going to be on shelves with hundreds of other books.)

It looked cool. Upon reading the back cover blurb, I was sold. Football + counterterrorism? Count me in! So, much to my sister's chagrin (she tries so hard to keep me from walking out of the building with more books than necessary, bless her heart, though it doesn't work), I snatched it and checked it out with the others.

And LET ME TELL YOU. It's been a long time since I've read a book that I could honestly compare to my favorite series without feeling like I'm betraying them. But Monday Night Jihad nailed it.



About the book:
After a tour of duty in Afghanistan, Riley Covington is living his dream as a professional linebacker when he comes face-to-face with a radical terrorist group on his own home turf. Drawn into the nightmare around him, Riley returns to his former life as a member of a special ops team that crosses oceans in an attempt to stop the escalating attacks. But time is running out, and it soon becomes apparent that the terrorists are on the verge of achieving their goal: to strike at the very heart of America.

Series: Riley Covington, #1

My rating:







First off, let me say that reading negative reviews of a book you're about to rate 5 stars isn't the greatest idea in the world. But that doesn't mean I don't still love the book.

Ack, it was so good. 

First off, Riley was . . . fantabulous.  A Christian that cared about others, yet still struggled with his faith when . . . well . . . spoilers, ya know. His relationship with his grandpa was so sweet. His bantering with his buddies—let's not forget the teasing!

I laughed harder during this baby than I have while reading a book in a long, long time. "We will be experiencing some mild turbulence—that means Mr. Plane go bump bump." It's one of those things you have to take in context to fully appreciate, but still.

The football aspect was epic. I grew up playing football with my brothers and dad in the backyard, and I guess that could be the basis of my love for reading sports stories. The camaraderie of the team made me smile so much.

The way Christianity was brought out—UM, YES. It wasn't the awkward 'Lord, I can't figure out what to wear today, put my hand on the right shirt' kind, but the 'Lord, I'll trust You even when it hurts beyond belief' kind. I ADORED it. It wasn't preachy, but it was strong. Like stand-your-spoon-in-your-coffee strong. (Okay, not quite that strong but the analogy just popped into my head sooooo)

And then . . . then the unthinkable happened. If I was one to cry during a book, I would've. Rarely do I pause while reading, but . . . wow. Um. There were a couple of parts where I just had to wince, close my eyes, and take a deep breath. Because ouch. Needless to say, I'm not really okay. Now I'm going through the sequel (and I'm trying hard not to mix the two up while I'm writing this, haha), and it's still painful. The descriptions in this book aren't really . . . well . . . descriptive, but the events are still described in such a way that my imagination took off and made me feel it.

What didn't I like? All the different POVs weren't really my favorite, but nothing to really complain about. There was a major info-dump on an entire page once. But it didn't last long, thank goodness. And, lastly, the story was kiiiiinda predictable? Like, I had the bad guy pegged almost from the beginning. But I was definitely questioning my guess multiple times.


Did I love this book? Yes. Will I be asking for it for Christmas? Yes. Would I recommend it? YES.

2 comments:

  1. I just laughed at you comment about eye catching spines. When I'm in a thrift store a fabric spine will catch my attention the quickest.

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!