Thursday, July 11, 2019

Book Review: Storm Rising by Ronie Kendig

 

Mentioned in the pages of the Septuagint but lost to history, the Book of the Wars has resurfaced, and its pages hold secrets--and dangers--never before seen on earth.  

Tasked with capturing the ancient text, former Navy SEAL Leif Metcalfe is finally given command of his own team. But their best efforts are ruined when a notorious Bulgarian operative known as "Viorica" snatches the volume right out from under them. 

Iskra "Viorica" Todorova is determined to use the book to secure the thing that matters most--freedom. But a series of strange storms erupts around the globe and the coming dangers foretold in the text threaten crops, lives--entire nations. Though both are haunted by secrets of the past and neither trusts the other, Leif and Iskra must form an uneasy alliance to thwart impending disaster. However, the truth hidden in two-
thousand-year-old words could unleash the storm of their own destruction.


My rating:


Miss Ronie's books are always chock-full of suspense, action and incredibleness!! I was so excited to read a book about Lief, who was a side character in one of the Tox Files books, and I wasn't disappointed!

Things I liked:
-Um, hello, Lief! He was so epic! And his backstory that kept getting hinted at and such...just yes. So much yes.
-The snark?? If you have a book with a group of people that aren't afraid to tease each other, and all the camaraderie...in my case, it's instant love, basically.
-The injuriiiieeees. Don't give me that look, I don't like it when good guys die, but when they just get hurt...well, yes, this book nailed it. The good guys weren't immune to a little roughing up. It was fabulous.
-Just yeah, allll da peeps. 

Things I didn't like:
-The romance. I know this is a romance book, and I KNOW that it shouldn't necessarily dock part of my rating consequently, since I kinda knew what to expect, but...no thank you. Sappy? Definitely. Detailed? Quite. No, I don't want to hear about your 'sizzling attraction' or the detailed kissing.
BUT. The rest of the book made up for it, sooooo
-The spiritual content was...almost nonexistent? There were a fewmentions of God, but...that was it. I'm not quite sure that it could technically count as Christian fiction. BUT. The book was pretty much squeaky clean in the language aspect, which I SO APPRECIATE.

Overall thoughts:
UM I NEED THE NEXT BOOK PLEASE. Like, RIGHT NOW. Like, the book didn't necessarily end on a cliffhanger, but it definitely left questions waiting to be answered in further books.
And that's another thing—I was pretty much confused throughout the whole book. Some of the stuff went over my head (which, I suppose, is to be expected, with what they were looking for), but I was still left in confusion. And some of the locations were super hard to picture in my mind from lack of description.
BUT all this to say...this book is epiiiiic and I can't wait for the next! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!