Thursday, December 5, 2019

Book Review: In 27 Days by Alison Gervais


Hadley Jamison is shocked when she hears that her classmate, Archer Morales, has committed suicide. She didn't know the quiet, reserved guy very well, but that doesn't stop her from feeling there was something she could have done to help him.

Hoping to find some sense of closure, Hadley attends Archer's funeral. There, Hadley is approached by a man who calls himself Death and offers her a deal. If Hadley accepts, she will be sent back 27 days in time to prevent Archer from killing himself. But when Hadley agrees to Death's terms and goes back to right the past, she quickly learns her mission is harder than she ever could have known.

Hadley soon discovers Archer's reasons for being alone, and Archer realizes that having someone to confide in isn't as bad as he'd always thought. But when a series of dangerous accidents starts pushing them apart, Hadley must decide whether she is ready to risk everything - including her life - to keep Archer safe.


My rating:





This book, ya'll. Whoa. Um, yeah. Wow.

Can you tell I'm kinda speechless over here?

I snatched up In 27 Days when I spied it at a bookstore, as I'd seen my Goodreads friends rant and rave over this piece of gorgeousness. However, when it comes to popular books, my opinion seems to differ from everyone else's. So while I was super excited to read this baby (I mean, c'mon, a girl fighting to keep a guy from committing suicide? Sign me up!), I was also skeptical that it would knock my socks off. I was afraid of a letdown, so I tried not to get my excitement up too much.

So I started it with great trepidation. (yeah, I'm in a dramatic mood rn. Just roll with it.)

What did I like?
-The plot! Golly, the plot was amazing! Hadley's determination to keep Archer from giving in to his desperation was endearing, and the setting was fabulous. I was afraid that, being a country girl, I wouldn't like the fact that the book was set in NYC. But it didn't take away from the story at all for me.
-The characters! I've already mention that I loved how Hadley wasn't going to let Archer continue to wallow in his depression, even when he made it clear that he didn't want her there. Because she knew better. And Archer! Man, this dude. I loved how his tender heart gradually shone through the cracks of his carefully constructed walls. I loved his mother and sister, and his grandmother—yes, even her. ;)
-Hadley's job! Ahh, I love (yeah I know I've been overusing this word. idec.) books where a good portion of the plot takes place in a bakery or coffeehouse. So when Hadley went to work for Regina, I was so thrilled!
-Alllllll of Archer's extended family. Goodness gracious! So loud, so boisterous, so . . . so lovable!

What didn't I like?
-The teen romance. It was cute, but . . . nah. I get that they're almost adults. Yet I just have this thing against kissing teenagers? Thankfully it wasn't a huuuuuge part of the book—the kissing wasn't—but I still didn't like it. You'd probably be shocked if I did, right? ;)
-Death made me . . . uneasy? I mean, I understand that the point of the whole book is Hadley's deal with Death. And that's why I didn't dock my rating. It's still slightly unsettling, though, when Death walks up to someone on the street and drags them to Starbucks to strike a deal.

So, yeah. A couple of minor things that I didn't like, but the rest of the book far outweighed the bad parts. <3


Have you read In 27 Days? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!