Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Camp NaNo July: Recap

July is over, and with it, of course, Camp NaNo. I knew it was a bad idea to participate; I mean, between working, preparing for my upcoming release, among other things, I was hardly going to have time, wasn't I?


Well, I did it anyway. Did I win Camp NaNo July? No. I set my goal at half of what I'd set my goal in April . . . and I still failed. But that's okay. I went to real camp for a week, which kinda threw off my schedule, and when I came back, I decided not to continue to try for that goal. Nor did I lower my goal. Why? I know that some people lower their goals so that they can conquer NaNo, but I didn't. Maybe it's the tiny perfectionist in me telling me that it'd be a lie to lower my goal. Or maybe I'm just reminding myself that sometimes I just need to say no. Or maybe I didn't really care anymore.

Orrrr (and this is probably the most accurate one) maybe it's a combination of all three.

Either way, I did get over 10,000 words written (15,000 was my goal), so I'm super happy about it! And since I've done a couple of posts in July about my WIP, I thought I might give you a sort of Camp NaNo recap.


-I named one of the characters Smol.

-Spamming my writing partner with messages like 'OH PLOT TWIST' and 'my heart hurts rn' and 'okay imagine this' and 'PRETTY SURE WRITING THIS IS EVEN MORE HEARTBREAKING THAN READING IT . . . MAYBE'

-Main love language is insults (bc I mean it's guys . . . )

-Hit block for a day in week 2, yet somehow managed to write over 800 words the next day . . . ?

-Pretty sure the thing's 99% dialogue

-Snark

-Approximately 18291% of this thing needs rewritten

-Writing scenes between a married couple (from the guy's POV) is awkward. And they'll probably get deleted.

-Apparently I got some sort of writing hangover in week one bc I wrote box as 'bocks'


So, yes, my Camp NaNo July in a nutshell. 

Did you participate in Camp? What was your favorite part (aside from your WIP itself) about it?

6 comments:

  1. I'd say that 10k is still really good! I had set my goal in June for 20k, but lowered in before camp had even started to 10k because of some things coming up. Then I upped it to 15, then 20k, and ended up with over 25k. My full report of Camp is coming next week on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your Nano recap! 10,000 is still a huge achievement!! I had a lot of fun chatting/sprinting with you in our cabin! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for 10,000 words! And those messages to your writing partner are great. xD

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't see your comment appear right away? No worries! After getting far too many nasty scam comments, I turned on the comment moderator. Your comment will appear once I approve it!